Friends are people who know you really well and
like you anyway. – Greg Tamblyn
Sometimes me think, ‘What is friend?’ Then me say, ‘Friend is someone
to share last cookie with.’ –Cookie Monster
Sometimes I feel like life has been less about working and a whole lot more about collecting friends!
As I gain the perspective that comes with age a few concepts begin to sink in:
- my life is defined by the friends I have made and not the titles I’ve carried or jobs I’ve had.
- in tough times I was helped more by current friends than previous training and education.
- solitary joys don’t feel nearly as good as they do when shared with friends.
- best friends are designed by God for adversities. (“A true friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need” Proverbs 17:17 Living Bible A true friend may be hard to find and cultivate, but worth every red face, difficult apology and determined effort to patch and maintain. The humble meal of ‘eating crow’ doesn’t diminish a friendship, but strengthens it.
- there are times when a close friend beats a distant relative hands down, both geographically and emotionally.
- there are some ‘best friends’ you may not have met yet. Keep your eyes and heart open to that discovery!
And lastly, when you belong to God’s family and friendships abound, the following verses contain the checklist of what it took to make it happen and what needs to continue happening until the inevitable result of ‘perfect harmony.’
“Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must
clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility,
gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults,
and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave
you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love,
which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” Colossians 3:12-14 NLT
Don’t even think about going through life alone and friendless. Make sure you have at least one person with whom you’d be willing to share your last cookie!
Do you have friends or family who would enjoy a “Fresh Heart” devotional every day in 2019? This would be a great time to order several copies of “Fresh Heart For A New Day” and spread the joy and encouragement with them throughout the new year. Order on Amazon.com Search either the title or Paul Walterman. Thanks!