After fifty-seven years of marriage and an embarrassing number of moves over those years, Joanie and I have found a most amazing place to live. It’s the kind of place anybody in the world would like to reside.
Once we made our choice, the move came easily. There were no pitches to pressure us, no ‘bait and switch’ employed. Everything advertised has proven to be true every day we’ve been here.
Let me tell you about our setting.
- First, we live ‘under the shadow of the Almighty.’ “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1 NIV God’s proximity is a bonus feature for anyone living in his neighborhood.
- There are periodic episodes of God’s glory that can be seen, regardless of what season or what direction we are facing. I cannot tell you our thrill at living close enough to his glory to be able to observe it up close and personal. “Wake up. Put your face in the sunlight. God’s bright glory has risen for you.” Isaiah 60:1 MSG
- More often than we deserve, gifts are left on our doorstep… and they’re not cheap, either. Actually, none of them could be purchased for any amount of money. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17 NIV “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” II Corinthians 9:15 NIV
- The water available here is beyond description. I’ve had good drinking water when really thirsty over the years, but the water here tastes like I will never need another drink for the rest of my life… yet I want to drink more and more. “But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.” John 4:14 NLT
- Never have we lived in a place of more acceptance and welcome. There is a scarcity of mean and nasty people in our neighborhood. It’s almost like we’ve been planted in the midst of closest friends. “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1 NIV
- Not only a place of acceptance, but we live in a place of safety. Our confidence has never been higher even as our fear has disappeared. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.” Isaiah 41:10 NIV
Geographically we live in Northern Idaho and while enjoying the Northwest, we really like the setting God has us in no matter where we go to sleep at night.