Does prayer really work?
“If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.” John 14:14 ESV
Will prayer help me acquire wisdom?
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach,
and it will be given him.” James 1:15 ES
Can prayer bring about healing?
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another,
that you may be healed.” James 5:16 ESV
What if I’m not sure how to pray?
“For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself
intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.” Romans 8:26 ESV
What effect does faith have in my praying?
“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it,
and it will be yours.” Mark 11:24 ESV
Those Scriptures should give our devotional some traction as we look at several hints to make our praying richer, on target and powerful.
- MAKE PRAYER YOUR FIRST PRIORITY, NOT A BACK-UP SYSTEM FOR WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS.
- In Psalm 50 God tells us what He’d like from us. First, our thankfulness, second, our promises kept and third, to call on Him in our difficulties. He is honored when we pray first.
- USE A RIFLE, NOT A SHOTGUN
- Don’t just pray “God, bless the whole world” and then be surprised if you never see the answers. Be specific with your requests or you will never recognize the answers when they show up. A ‘prayer list’ will help you greatly here.
- CONCENTRATE ON GOD, NOT WHAT YOU’RE PRAYING FOR.
- Twelve spies were sent to spy out the Promised Land. Ten came back defeated, having measured themselves by the giants in the land. Caleb and Joshua came back and urged Israel to move ahead. “You should see how puny the giants look compared to our God” was their story. Remember… gaze at God, but glance at the problem
- NOT TECHNIQUE BUT RELATIONSHIP.
- It’s sad, but many people we hear pray are professionals and we tell God “I can’t pray like that” and sometimes God responds with “Good, there’s not much more to their prayers than pride and pomposity.” Remember, your wordlessness and anguish if only through deep sighs, are read by the Holy Spirit with clarity. Love God deeply and let Him guide your prayer life.
Get good at prayer… get tenacious in prayer… pray with strength and purpose. And don’t give up! These are important days for the Church and God welcomes every intercessor who shows up.