The show ‘Jeopardy’ has a huge following, but for me… not so much. I have never liked feeling stupid. It’s hard to feel intelligent when spending a half hour with people who know so much about so much.
How do they know all that stuff. And more importantly, WHY DO THEY KNOW THAT STUFF?
Seriously, God made our brains, so He should get the most applause on this show. His creation of our brains is staggering. Knowledge is important and vital, but we all don’t need to know a lot about everything, right?
Here’s what is vitally important to know.
- “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14 NIV If you don’t know Who made you, you will never find out why you were made. It’s that simple.
- “I know that the Lord is great, that our Lord is greater than all gods.” Psalm 135:5 NIV If your god is a second level god, you have very little to look forward to. Those kinds can’t get you out of trouble, comfort you on dark nights, offer you exquisite hope for your future. Only the God who puts all other gods out of business will suffice.
- “I know that my redeemer lives and that in the end he will stand on the earth.” Job 19:25 NIV When all other gods are burned or broken… when the memory of every one of them is forgotten, we will have an eternity of living in the presence of our Redeemer who was, is and will still be around forever!
- “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28 NIV God is always working good for those who are his children, and it’s amazing what He is able to make out of junk we have created. But when we actually cooperate with Him instead of frustrating his purposes, it’s beauty of the highest order.
- “Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.” Psalm 56:9 NIV There is a current worship song that simply states the most basic theology we need to know. “He’s a good, good Father and I’m loved by Him.” Too many people feel that a Heavenly Father who is good is, well… just too good to be true. But to know Him is to love Him and being loved by Him is beyond description.
It’s really not critical that you know what the capital city of Eswatini is (Lobamba… I looked it up). But to know God in His fullness is vital.